Tuesday, April 14, 2009

“A Failure of Memory …”


Ok, so this image is a few weeks old, but I was scrolling through my picture files and was surprised that I hadn’t posted it (time flies, and distractions happen, in law enforcement academies!). This was a good experience. As our instructors said, if you can shoot well in a blizzard, imagine how you’ll shoot when it’s 72 degrees and sunny.

And, the picture really doesn’t have to do with this posting, but hey, it’s a good one.

For most of the evening I’ve been grinding the mental gears, attempting to will a good posting into existence. Imagine my mind as an old Ford truck…from the 60’s maybe, rusting away in a field. An old farmer gets in, starts the engine grudgingly and painfully puts it in gear, lets out of the clutch with a squeal and slowly, cacophonously, the machine creeps along through the dust and mud and the weeds…

My brain hurts.

I read somewhere once which spoke to the lack of pain receptors in the human brain. I think now that this was fictitious. Some doctoral student playing a prank. My brain really does hurt.

In previous postings I’ve touched on the shear amount of information we’re required to learn and more accurately MEMORIZE during this academy, but I’ve only hinted…

Currently I’m working on my last column of street rotations (streets in JeffCo along with their block numbers…approximately 300 streets in all). I’m working on memorizing the Bill of Rights and our firearms safety rules verbatim. I have the JCSO mission statement, values, and vision statement down (I think) as well as most of the names of departmental command staff. That leaves the material for our fifth test due tomorrow, including mountains of traffic code, various facts on domestic terrorist groups, performance data on less-lethal weapons as well as strategies in dealing with suspect interrogations and confessions.

We’ve all been weaned off of bottles and mere glasses full of the stuff – we take our mental nourishment through fire hoses ONLY these days.

And, incidentally, the title of this posting – “A Failure of Memory…”. Well, when we miss a question on a quiz or a test we’re required to write out a disciplinary memo to our coordinator elaborating on the REASONS behind that (failure). I’ve found myself relying on this phrase more often than I’d like to admit. It is, however, accurate. It’s honest. (Now if I could just get it to NEVER happen again…!)