Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Little Things, Among the Big…

I just finished ironing some uniforms. I also finished cutting the badge holes into the my uniforms above the left front pockets. Holes in the fabric. For a badge.

Yup. It was an epiphany of sorts – one of those small, mundane moments when the force of the ‘now’ hits; when you realize what’s going on in the present. In less than 72 hours I’ll have a badge.

The last two weeks have been a blur. Today we took our POST certification test. (I passed, btw). We then hit the much-talked-about Lookout Mountain Run. Both were honestly a bit anti-climactic for me. But…the badge holes….now THAT’S inspirational. (yes, the tongue is in my cheek).

Last week we were TASED (which wasn’t mandatory, of course). I thought about writing a whole entry on it, but it really comes down to one thing: pain. Lots of it. It hurts. I’ll never need to experience it again to ‘remember’ what that kind of pain felt like.

Last week we had some pretty educational, and fun, experiences in the classroom – in a mock crime scene investigation and in a pretty dynamic ‘wet lab’ where various deputies and department staff get drunk (in a perfectly cordial and controlled environment) and allow us to practice our DUI identification skills.

This week we’re preparing for our graduation ceremony. I just got off the phone with some friends who are coming…I gave ‘em directions, gave them the invite to the dinner my parents are throwing afterward. Suddenly, 20 weeks are up, after a lot of pain, a lot of joy and accomplishment, and a lot of hard work. Just like that. You start as a nervous, wide-eyed new recruit, and the next thing you know you’re cutting holes in your uniforms for a BADGE.

Just a thought.

Anyway, here are some pictures!!! :


Me. In pain. Flattering image, eh? They’re laughing, by the way, because I let out this horrendous howl. It slowly faded in intensity as my lungs ran out of air. It sounded like someone was falling from a cliff or something. “Ahhhhhh…hhhh…hhh…hh..h”



Self explanatory!





Mock Crime Scene!




Interviewing at a "crime scene"




Photographing evidence at a "crime scene"



Wet Lab!



Roadside sobriety tests






Some walk a straight line better than others.






Checking eye movement






More eye movement






Walk the line