Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Performance – Quantified.

Friday was a day of testing – of the body, mind, and well….soul, too, I suppose.

The morning academic test (our first) went well. I did ok…but could have done better. We’ve covered a ton of material in the first two weeks of class – most of it pretty varied. It was somewhat difficult to know how exactly to prepare and I spent most of my energies studying material that wasn’t necessarily needed.

To balance the mental exertions of the morning, we headed over to the School of Mines Field House for our first physical training (PT) assessment. Good stuff! For those of you who might be contemplating a career with JeffCo, and are thinking about testing for the next academy….be prepared physically! I consider myself to be in pretty good shape, but there’s seriously some good competition in the class…and nothing can make you push more, can make you sweat just a little more than you thought you could, than your buddy breathing down your back.


From left: Jeff, Geoff, Chad hit the mile and a half run hard,
with John providing the ‘support’ on the right.


Max sit-ups, max pushups in a minute and a 1.5 mile run at speed makes for a good little workout – and we did alright. Our coordinators are cranking the workouts up a notch, ever so slowly. I just took a look at the schedule and saw that we have a workout at Red Rocks this Friday. I’ll be sure to take pictures…only the grimace factor might be a bit higher than these here.

Hmmm…(thinking). It might get progressively harder to get my classmates permission to post their smiling (or, as I said, GRIMACING, mugs online). I’ll have to ask nicely.

Yours truly in action. Thanks Lance!