Monday, March 9, 2009

Discipline, or Disciplin(ed), Rather…

The following is a memo which I wrote (was assigned, along with the rest of the class) to our Coordinator as a disciplinary action. I decided to post it as a kind of reminder to myself and to provide an example of the ‘culture’ of the academy to those who might be thinking about applying. It’s a different world, certainly.

On Monday, March 2nd, we, as a classed, failed in our responsibilities.

In this particular case we failed to insure that the room in which we study, the room in which we learn and meditate daily on our new careers, our chosen professions, was clean and in proper order before rushing out to PT this evening. This occured after you had specifically reminded us to clean and straighten the room before leaving. We rushed. We reacted. We didn’t think.

I, personally, assumed that the cleaning crew would insure the ordering of the room before leaving. I, personally, “passed the buck”, and simply assumed that others would take care of a responsibility which was mine, as well as theirs. In the end the result was a negative one.

Beyond any moral considerations, there is a solid lesson to be learned (and I have learned it). At times, when things need to be done, when things are necessary, and when I, personally, am aware of this necessity, it is best, it is right, it is most efficient, to step up, to speak out, to get it done. In the future I will not “pass the buck” to someone else. I will focus on my own, focus on myself, focus on my responsibilities.

President Harry Truman popularized the phrase “The Buck Stops Here”. He was referring to an old poker term and the ability to pass up an opportunity to play a hand by “passing the buck” to another player. The phrase articulates the “passing on” of responsibility, the “passing on” of one’s obligations and duties, to another. As a future LEO, I cannot ever “pass the buck”. As an LEO, THE BUCK STOPS HERE.

Responsibility to me is a value of near spiritual magnitude. Responsibility implies a life without excuses, without any blame placed on another when it rests solely on my own shoulders. Other values are encompassed by the concept of responsibility. It is inherently honest. It is inherently just. It is also inherently quiet and at times unappreciated. It does not ask for recognition. It does not ask for congratulations or praise.

Responsibility, simply and quietly, calmly and confidently, asks its user to do what is right, to do what is needed, and to uncompromisingly ignore the inconvenience, the imposition that this right act may cause.