Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Pretty Tough Schedule

It's been a while since I've posted, and for that I apologize. Who knew that this would be so challenging? I was told, but didn't REALLY believe...

Between the academics, the policy and statute memorization, the daily prep work involving uniforms, equipment, study materials (and the disciplinary memos, ha) – time is a rare commodity these days.I think it's important for folks who might be interested in applying for the academy to be aware of just how much work is involved. And, if you're accepted, be fully PREPARED.My schedule has become solely centered on THIS, and this alone. A typical schedule for me is as such:

515 - 700
Preparation for class, materials organization, breakfast, shower, etc

700 - 730
Drive to the Academy

730 - 800
Class preparation, boot shining, de-linting, class evaluations

800 - 1700
Class!

1700 - 1830
PT! (Either formal, with the class, or without, on my own)

1830 - 1900
Drive home

1900 - 2000
Dinner/Rest/etc

2000 - 2200
Study! Prepare for tomorrow!

Realistically, I have about an hour of 'free' time during a typical day, and usually it's just enough to recover a bit of energy for the next gig. AND, I'm single...some of my classmates with families....well, I'll just say they have my respect.

So, the point, again: Be prepared to set aside 5 months of your life for THIS, and for THIS alone.(It will, however, be worth it of course...)

*Coming soon* - Arrest Control! Firearms Training! With Pics!