Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Month Down …

Yeah, I can’t believe it myself…over four weeks under our belts. Time is flying. I caught myself last week (the 70 degree weather helped) feeling SPRING!

With this theme in mind, I thought I’d give a few of my classmates the opportunity to say something about how the last month has gone. I think I might periodically check in with some other folks as the weeks go by to get other perspectives and opinions on things (no one likes a blog-monopolist).

My own opinions on the last four weeks…well, you should all know them by now, BUT, to re-iterate:

“They’re still PAYING us to learn? PAYING us to train? PAYING us to play around at Red Rocks?”

Life is good.


Jacy, 23

"This academy has gone above and beyond my expectations. We have only been here five weeks and already I have learned so much – whether it be from textbook or the experiences of other people. You’re constantly learning. I thought I knew what I was getting into, but there are so many things I never saw coming. It’s the small things that I find most inspiring. Hooh"




Cody, 27

"Hi, my name is Cody. I am 27 yrs old and currently attending the Jeffco’s (Jefferson County Sheriff) Academy. Before this I was a Denver Sheriff for 2yrs and loved every minute of it, I will surely bring my experiences with me to continue building my future as a Deputy with Jeffco. This Academy truly gives you the chance to succeed and become a highly trained/informed Officer of the law, to serve the public. I truly hope that I will get the chance to serve the Jeffco community and I hope to do the community proud."



Chad, 33


“Few opportunities in life allow us to be exposed to such a high quality of professionalism, from fellow recruits and instructors, to command staff. The JeffCo Academy is designed for a recruit’s success in law enforcement.”


Laura, 27


Born in NY, residing in CO for only 1 yr, BS in Criminal Justice, MS in Forensic Toxicology

“The academy has become fun. We are all getting to know one another and respecting each other more. There is still work to be done, but we are improving. It’s amazing to learn of everyone’s experiences and where they are from. To have 41 different personalities in one room is tough, but like I said, we are moving forward, and that’s a great achievement.”


Rhod, 35

"From a small mining town called Ponypridd in South Wales U.K. Had many different professions ranging from firefighting to helicopter/mountain rescue work, from mountain guiding to personal training and self employed contractor. Passions are my family, close friends and outdoor pursuits (climbing, mtn biking etc.)"

“Overall I’ve been surprised at the amount of educational material that has been thrust at us. The challenge lies in sifting through what is pertinent and what is not.”

“The one thing that has struck me the most is the great number of positive human qualities I’ve observed from all our departmental instructors. They are passionate about their work, their families and achieving longevity in their (and our) chosen professions.”